Monday, October 14, 2019

Attention intruders

Glenn Harlan Reynolds has an article about Big Tech's efforts to get our attention (link). The cost of clickbait and advertising has apparently become so cheap, and/or the hosts want the revenue so much, that we are flooded with it. Most articles on the internet or a smart phone have several advertisements or other clickbait imposed within the article.  By other clickbait, I mean (a) links to other articles the host offers as a way to get more advertising revenues and (b) invitations to sign up to receive alerts or notifications to more content from the host by email or text messages.

I use ad-blockers to "gray" much of the content, but still find nearly all of it very annoying. If an advertiser or other clickbait maker had to pay me to show me their clickbait, my time on the internet and smart phone would be far more tolerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment