Monday, October 29, 2018

World Series 2018

The Boston Red Sox won the World Series for the 4th time this century. They were favored to win, given their regular season W-L% (wins/games) was .667 versus the Los Angeles Dodgers' .564.

The Dodgers won only one game, the third. I made an error reporting on that game. My wife and I were visiting Nashville, TN with two other couples. We went to the Grand Old Opry on October 26. Returning to our motel afterwards I looked on my cell phone to see the result of the game. It was well past midnight, and I saw the score as Red Sox 2, Dodgers 1. Assuming the game was over by then, I reported the score to my companions.

The next morning I was mildly chided by my companions, because the Dodgers had won. Looking on my cell phone again, I found that the 2-1 score was after the Red Sox scored a run in the top of the 13th inning, but before the inning ended. (The score was tied 1-1 after 9 innings.) I had unintentionally reported fake news and didn't heed Yogi Berra: "It ain't over 'til it's over." The Dodgers scored a run in the bottom of the 13th inning to tie the game 2-2. The game continued until the bottom of the 18th inning when the Dodgers scored again to win 3-2. It easily broke the record for the longest game in World Series history -- 7 hours, 20 minutes, 18 innings. (link). 

No comments:

Post a Comment